I don’t know if this will interest anyone, but I’m trying to understand how many things interest me. So I’ve made a list, partly for fun, partly to help me understand, and, perhaps, focus in on some subjects a little better as time passes.
The list is quite long, but not exhaustive, and will probably grow over time as other things spring to mind. Indeed, I’ve just thought of a few things I’ve missed!
My knowledge of the subjects listed ranges from a little to quite a lot, and tends to reflect the topics which are the flavour of a particular moment.
The Eclectic List
Stop reading, start speaking
Stop translating in your head and start speaking Italian for real with the only audio course that prompt you to speak.
It’s in alphabetical order, not in any order of priority. Regular readers of Italy Chronicles will recognise some of the subjects, others might come as a surprise, or not.
- Advertising – methods and systems, and efficiency
- Animals and wildlife
- Art – contemporary art and artists – I like discovering interesting Italian artists
- Boats – all sorts, but especially hi-tech, high-speed ones – more on this lower down the list
- Business – strategy, development
- Cars, Eco friendly engines, electric power, bio fuels, European, Asian, and American (I like muscle cars)
- Coffee machines – Italian espresso makers, especially the coffee bar versions
- Culture – what it is, how it differs and evolves
- Current affairs – news, views, and happenings in Italy and elsewhere
- Design – combining function and form – why I like guitars, cars, motorbikes, tools, knives & guns
- English teaching – how to help people learn English, develop & consolidate their skills
- Environment – maintaining and enhancing it
- Firearms – always found them fascinating. Don’t really know why.
- Films and entertainment – Science fiction is my favourite genre
- Food and drink – discovering new flavours, and nutrition
- Guitars – had a couple, cannot play them – love the sound, and the form, though. Want an electro-acoustic Ovation model – one day.
- High speed surface water travel. The amazing, but now extinct, Ekroplan – video:
- High speed below surface marine travel, using, for example, supercavitation technology, like the DARPA Underwater Express.
- History – modern history, but not only
- Intelligence – how we develop it, why some people are more intelligent than others, different types of intelligence, artificial intelligence
- Internet, and related technology, css, php, web design
- Italy – anything and everything!
- Journalism, including press freedom, citizen journalism
- Language – how we learn them, develop our skills, how to accelerate learning, grammar
- Law, and legal systems (civil v common law), legal terminology
- Legends – and their origins
- Marketing – web and traditional methods. Tourism and travel promotion via the internet
- Martial arts – Tai chi
- Media and communications – differences between cultures, new techniques, especially use of www
- Mobile phones – technology, functions, operating systems
- Motorbikes – big, fast ones (I’ve had a few moderately fast, but not big ones)
- Motor and motorbike racing – especially motorbike racing
- Mountain biking, cycling, and bikes
- Music – many genres, including classical, rock, blues, acid jazz and some pop
- Non-lethal weapons – I like the idea of being able to disable someone without killing him/her
- Paranormal events – ghosts
- Photography, cameras, lenses, off-camera flash (I’m a novice at this) and photo editing
- Politics – political systems – particularly new ones!
- Psychology – what it is, and how it effects out lives, and use of the www
- Real estate & architecture
- Renewable energy – particularly solar energy, biomass & wave/ocean power generation systems
- Science – just about everything, much of which is mixed in with this list
- Shooting – bows and arrows, crossbows, pistols, rifles, pea shooters, rail guns
- Space, space travel, and UFOs
- Technology – web technology, computers, operating systems, applications
- Television – how it is used, how it can be used
- Tools – love ’em (weird, I know!) – drills, spanners, saws, screwdrivers, soldering gear
- Travel – being in other places, not getting there!
- Video games and gaming platforms – Wii, Playstation
- Walking – in the country or mountains up hills, but not down them!
- Wine – particularly Italian wines and prosecco!
- Writing – techniques, writing for the web, trying to improve my own writing skills, and how to teach others to write
That’s it for now.