Best Selling Italian Coffee – The Top Ten List

I was curious to see whether the best selling Italian coffee which was at the top of my previous best selling Italian coffee on Amazon.com post was still a hit.

The answer is below in the best selling Italian coffee top ten list which has been updated for 2014.

Note that to get into to best selling Italian coffee Top Ten, the coffee concerned has to be made by an Italian coffee roaster in Italy.  No non-Italian fakes permitted.  Sorry, Starbucks.

A New Coffee Number One

Back in April 2011, sitting proud at the top of the top ten best selling Italian coffee list was Lavazza’s Super Crema Espresso Whole Bean Coffee, well, it’s been ousted from the top spot by another Lavazza coffee – Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto, which, it just so happens, is a personal favorite of mine!  I recommended Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto blend to someone who got in touch with me via Twitter and he was very happy with it, as I hoped me might be.

In July 2014, Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto was the number 1 best seller in Amazon.com’s ground coffee category.

I particularly like Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto coffee because to me it tastes like the espresso coffee I drink in Milan coffee bars. In other words, it’s got an authentic Italian coffee taste. By the way, I live in Italy and I love Italian coffee too.

If you want to try Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto coffee, you don’t need to buy four packs of it. Now Amazon.com sells a single 8.8 ounce brick – so makes trying this great tasting Italian coffee is even easier than ever.

Just think about it, you can make a cappuccino which tastes like those cappuccinos you had on your summer vacation in Rome, Florence or Venice. Happy memories of Italy will come your way!  And a shot of espresso is a great way to wake yourself up for the day ahead.

The September 2011 Top Ten Best Selling Genuine Italian Roasted Coffee on Amazon.com – Updated for 2014

Note: Please don’t get beans confused with ground coffee.  To use coffee beans you’ll need a coffee grinding machine or have a espresso machine which can grind them.

Best selling Lavazza Crema Gusto Coffee

Best selling Lavazza Crema Gusto Coffee

The numbers in brackets show the coffee in questions position in the original coffee Top Ten list.

1.(2.) Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee, Italian Espresso, 8.8-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4) – still a best seller in mid 2014!

Customer Nicholas Chase commented that Lavazza Crema e Gusto is an “Excellent Blend“, he also added: “Lavazza is a great Italian brand name and the Crema e Gusto blend is a fairly new introduction to the Lavazza catalog. I first tried the Crema e Gusto in Europe and quickly became addicted! I packed my suitcase full when I came home and it was worth the effort. All of the Lavazza blends are excellent, but this blend is particularly special- it is very smooth and rich with virtually no bitterness at all. I brew it in a stove-top espresso maker and it’s absolutely perfect every time.”

1a. Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee, Italian Espresso, 8.8-Ounce Brick

2.(1) Lavazza Super Crema Espresso Whole Bean Coffee, 2.2-Pound Bag – a number 1 best seller in mid-2014 in Amazon’s Whole Roasted Coffee Beans

3.(2 in 2014) (3.in 2011) Lavazza Caffe Espresso Ground Coffee, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

4.(5.) Lavazza Qualita Rossa, Caffe Ground Espresso, 8.8-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4)

5.(7.) Lavazza Qualita Oro Espresso Ground Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

6.(-) illy Caffe Scura Coffee, Espresso, (Dark Roast, Black Band), 18-Count E.S.E. Pods (Pack of 2)

7.(6.) Lavazza Qualita Oro Whole Bean Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4)

8.(9) Lavazza Decaffeinated Espresso Ground Coffee, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

9.(-) illy Caffe Normale MOKA Ground Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Tin

10.(-) Lavazza Premium Drip Ground Coffee, 10-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

Lavazza is still doing really well in the coffee top ten and continues to do so in 2014.  The only other challenger is Illy – whose Caffe Scura coffee has knocked Lavazza’s Lavazza Qualita Oro Whole Bean Coffee off its sixth place.

The best selling Italian coffee top ten will be updated!

PS Try this Espresso Cups for Christmas post for some interesting Italian coffee cups which, along with some authentic Italian coffee, would make an great Christmas gift.

You might like a expresso espresso coffee maker too.

A cup of good Italian coffee is a great way to start your day!

You are logged in. Thank you for subscribing.

Comments

1. Morrison says

Lavazza Crema e Gusto is one of my favorites for many years too, i can’t make up my mind between Lavazza and Illy so i change once in a while :)

Hi Morrison,

Lavazza Crema e Gusto produces very good results in stove top coffee makers I find, and I think the taste is very close to that of coffee made in Italy’s coffee bars which is why I like it a lot.

We rarely have Illy coffee at home – very much a Lavazza house – but I do have Illy coffee when out and about. The flavor is a little different and some Italians do prefer Illy over Lavazza. There are other brands to try. If you haven’t tried it, you might like Segafredo coffee which can be found beyond Italy’s borders.

2. Stephen says

Just noticed this post again in the side bar. It got me wondering what inroads the Nespresso phenomenon is making into the market. We use it, as do an increasing number of people we know. We buy our pods in Florence. Every time we go there we have to join a queue and wait up to 15 minutes to pick them up. I guess the purists would reject Nespresso but a lot of people seem to be using it.

Funny you should mention Nespresso. Apparently the coffee capsules make very good coffee and Nestle has been pushing their capsules very heavily using George Clooney. Lavazza and Illy haven’t been pushing capsules as hard – but they should so. Owing to the crisis, more and more Italians are resorting to coffee machines to save them having to spend cash in Italy’s coffee bars.

That Nespresso is not Italian does not seem to be putting Italians off. Time for Lavazza etc to pay catch-up or lose out.

Cheers,

3. Dimitrios says

Hello
    I am a Barista and former owner of a Cafeteria . As a customer in another cafeteria when asking for an espresso lungo instead of pulled lungo i get a normale with a small pot of hot water to be added. When i complain they say it is company policy.
    My question: what is your recommended method of brewing a lungo and if hot water is to be added what is the difference between a lungo and an americano?

Hi Demitrios,

In which country have you been asking for a lungo? In Italy, the process is the same as for making an espresso, except the cup is left in the coffee machine for a little longer. For a caffe Americano, the process is the same, except a bigger cup is used and the a greater quantity of water is allowed to drip through the coffee into the cup.

As you probably know, Italian espresso machines drip water through coffee grounds. The longer the water is allowed to drip, the greater the quantity of coffee is produced. Have never heard of water being added to espresso after it has come out of the machine. Very strange.

Alex – Italy resident and regular caffe lungo consumer.

4. Giovanni says

When buying coffee one must consider that arabica beans costs much more than robusta beans. The crema e gusto ranked 1st here is an arabica/robusta mix with an high content of robusta. Thus crema e gusto is less valuable than the qualita oro and Illy which are 100% arabica. In general arabica is more aromatic has a fruit-like acidity and is not bitter, the robusta is bitter has more body and astringency. Ultimately It is matter of personal taste but the price must correlate with the % of arabica content.

Well, it sounds as if you know coffee, Giovanni. As you say though, it’s a question of personal taste at the end of the day and Crema e Gusto fits mine perfectly – as I explain, it’s the only coffee I’ve tried in our stove top moka which produces a taste which is close to that I get Italy’s coffee bars.

The best thing for people to do is to try different coffees and that will help them decide which one they like best :) Some people prefer Illy to Lavazza and vice versa – personal taste, but are good everyday coffee brands.

Cheers,