Best Selling Italian Coffee – The Top Ten List

I was curious to see whether the best selling Italian coffee which was at the top of my previous best selling Italian coffee list was still selling well.

The answer is below in the best selling Italian coffee top ten list which has been updated for 2015.

Note that to get into to best selling Italian coffee Top Ten, the coffee concerned has to be made by an Italian coffee roaster in Italy.  No non-Italian fakes permitted.  Sorry, Starbucks.

The news for 2015 is that Italian coffee brands, with three exceptions, no longer appear in Amazon.com’s Best Sellers in Coffee Beverages. Why is this? Well, it looks as if US coffee drinkers have taken to K-Cup type coffee pods. Sounds as if Italy’s coffee roasters need to take a look at these too or else they risk dropping out of the Amazon coffee beverage best sellers list completely.

A Best Selling Italian Coffee Number One

Back in April 2011, sitting at the top of the top ten best selling Italian coffee list was Lavazza’s Super Crema Espresso Whole Bean Coffee, well, it’s been ousted from the top spot by another Lavazza coffee – Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto, which is a personal favorite of mine!  I recommended Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto blend to someone who got in touch with me via Twitter and he was very happy with it.

In July 2015, the top spot goes to Lavazza Super Crema Espresso Whole Bean Coffee. Back in In July 2014, Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto was the number 1 best seller in Amazon.com’s ground coffee category which is now Coffee Beverages.

I particularly like Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto coffee because it tastes like the espresso coffee I drink in Milan coffee bars – it’s got an authentic Italian coffee taste. By the way, I live in Italy and I love Italian coffee too.

If you want to try Lavazza’s Crema e Gusto coffee, you don’t need to buy four packs of it. Amazon.com sells a single 8.8 ounce brick – so trying this great tasting Italian coffee is even easier than ever.

Just think about it, you can make a cappuccino which tastes like those cappuccinos you had on your summer vacation in Rome, Florence or Venice. Happy memories of Italy will come flooding your way! And a shot of espresso is a great way to wake yourself up in the morning.

Top Ten Best Selling Italian Coffee on Amazon.com – List Updated for 2014

Note: Please don’t get beans confused with ground coffee.  To use coffee beans you’ll need a coffee grinding machine or have a espresso machine which can grind them.

Best selling Italian Coffee - Lavazza Crema Gusto

Best selling Italian Coffee – Lavazza Crema Gusto

The numbers in brackets show the coffee in questions position in the original coffee Top Ten list.

1. (2. in 2014) (1. in 2011) Lavazza Super Crema Espresso Whole Bean Coffee, 2.2-Pound Bag – a number 1 best seller in mid-2014 in Amazon’s Whole Roasted Coffee Beans

Like I was back in Tuscany, but also makes great American coffee“, commented Jack Huesman, an Amazon Top 1000 reviewer.

2. (1. 2014) (2. 2011) Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee, Italian Espresso, 8.8-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4) – has slipped on place in 2015.

Customer Nicholas Chase commented that Lavazza Crema e Gusto is an “Excellent Blend“, he also added: “Lavazza is a great Italian brand name and the Crema e Gusto blend is a fairly new introduction to the Lavazza catalog. I first tried the Crema e Gusto in Europe and quickly became addicted! I packed my suitcase full when I came home and it was worth the effort. All of the Lavazza blends are excellent, but this blend is particularly special- it is very smooth and rich with virtually no bitterness at all. I brew it in a stove-top espresso maker and it’s absolutely perfect every time.”

3. New Entry for 2015! – Lavazza Caffe Espresso – Medium Ground Coffee, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

(1a – in 2014) Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee, Italian Espresso, 8.8-Ounce Brick – not ranked in 2015.

The following Italian made coffee roasts were not ranked in Amazon’s Best Sellers in Coffee Beverages in July 2015:

(3 in July 2014) (2 at start of 2014) (3 in 2011) Lavazza Caffe Espresso Ground Coffee, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

(4 in 2014)(5 in 2011) Lavazza Qualita Rossa, Caffe Ground Espresso, 8.8-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4)

(5 in 2014) (7 in 2011) Lavazza Qualita Oro Espresso Ground Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

(6 in 2015)(Not ranked in 2011) illy Caffe Scura Coffee, Espresso, (Dark Roast, Black Band), 18-Count E.S.E. Pods (Pack of 2)

(7 in 2014)(6 in 2011) Lavazza Qualita Oro Whole Bean Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4)

(8 in 2014)(9) Lavazza Decaffeinated Espresso Ground Coffee, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

(9 in 2014)(Not ranked in 2011) illy Caffe Normale MOKA Ground Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Tin

(10 in 2014)(Not ranked in 2011) Lavazza Premium Drip Ground Coffee, 10-Ounce Cans (Pack of 4)

Lavazza is still doing really well in the coffee top ten and continues to do so in 2014.  The only other challenger is Illy – whose Caffe Scura coffee has knocked Lavazza’s Lavazza Qualita Oro Whole Bean Coffee off its sixth place.

The best selling Italian coffee top ten will be updated!

PS Try this Espresso Cups for Christmas post for some interesting Italian coffee cups which, along with some authentic Italian coffee, would make an great Christmas gift.

You might like a expresso espresso coffee maker too.

A cup of good Italian coffee is a great way to start your day! Nowadays, coffee machines which take coffee pods can whip up a great espresso in a few moments – perfect for anyone with a busy lifestyle.

You are logged in. Thank you for subscribing.

Comments

1. Rachel S says

I’m an Illy fan – however, I haven’t tried the Lavazza Creama e Gusto yet! I’ll look for it next time I’m at the store.

2. Michela C says

Here in the UK Lavazza and Illy are the only italian coffee brands I can easily find.
    My vote is for Lavazza Crema e Gusto!
    Actually, I miss my Nespresso machine….that coffee is amazing (Roma is my favourite!) even if a little expensive.
    However, a good coffee for me is like home. At the end, like my english collegues say, I’m italian!

3. Sochib Sanusi says

Dear Sir,

I am interesting to buy Lavazza coffee crema e gusto, how much price in us.dollars and my address in jakarta, Indonesia.

thank you.

• Alex says

I’d personally say that Segafredo is miles better than Lavazza or Illy. Segafredo would have to be my favourite of the chain coffee brands.

• VASILEIOS says

hi alex again and thanks for your reply. I would like to correct you, no offense, but JACOBS ARABICA EXCLUSIVA and JACOBS ESPRESSO INTENSO are made in Piemonte, Northern Italy, but they don’t say who’s the manufacturer. Nevertheless, JACOBS filter coffee is not made in Italy, whereas, JACOBS espresso is indeed made in Italy.

Hi again Vasileios – no problem re the correction – thanks. I’ve hunted for Jacobs coffee and but can’t understand German. Have you got a link to where it says JACOBS ARABICA EXCLUSIVA and JACOBS ESPRESSO INTENSO are roasted in Piedmont?

4. Ginger Rogers says

I would like to start a coffee business here in the U.S. with Italian coffee brands. I have been to Florence and Rome and love every drop of coffee I could get my hands on. I would love to share the experience with my fellow Minnesotan’s that will not have to same opportunities for travels. Any advice will be welcomed.

5. VASILEIOS says

Hi, I am from Greece and I am looking for the perfect espresso brand quite a long. I have tried almost all the brands here in Greece and I thing that i have found my favourite brand: JACOBS arabica exclusiva. I brewed this coffe to many machines from krups to wega and the outcome is the same. Strong, tasteful espresso. Recommend to everyone

Hi Vasileios – good to hear you like Jacobs coffee but its not coffee produced in Italy which is what this post is all about.

Still, if you like it, go for it! :)

Cheers,

• VASILEIOS says

6. Soleil says

Hi
    It would be great if you can tell me about Molinari Caffe. Is it one of the best in Italy, top 10? quality,taste, popularity, etc?
    Soleil

Hi Soleil,

Molinari Caffe is fairly well known in Italy – not as well known as Lavazza and Illy. Molinari’s 1808 blend is relatively well known.

Molinari is a Modena based coffee roaster so it’s probably a common brand in cafes in the city and the area too, probably – but I don’t know. I’d really have to go to Modena to find out.

Actually, there are lots of coffee roaster brands in Italy which people outside of Italy know little or nothing about. This is because these coffee roasters more or less exclusively target the Italian market.

The brands you find in cafes in Italy are not always the brands you’ll find on the shelves of stores in Italy.

The best selling brands of coffee outside of Italy reflect how well certain Italian coffee roasters market themselves at an international level.

If you have tried Molinari coffee and like it, then fine. I hope you can find it although I do know it can be found on Amazon.

7. Morrison says

Lavazza Crema e Gusto is one of my favorites for many years too, i can’t make up my mind between Lavazza and Illy so i change once in a while :)

Hi Morrison,

Lavazza Crema e Gusto produces very good results in stove top coffee makers I find, and I think the taste is very close to that of coffee made in Italy’s coffee bars which is why I like it a lot.

We rarely have Illy coffee at home – very much a Lavazza house – but I do have Illy coffee when out and about. The flavor is a little different and some Italians do prefer Illy over Lavazza. There are other brands to try. If you haven’t tried it, you might like Segafredo coffee which can be found beyond Italy’s borders.

8. Stephen says

Just noticed this post again in the side bar. It got me wondering what inroads the Nespresso phenomenon is making into the market. We use it, as do an increasing number of people we know. We buy our pods in Florence. Every time we go there we have to join a queue and wait up to 15 minutes to pick them up. I guess the purists would reject Nespresso but a lot of people seem to be using it.

Funny you should mention Nespresso. Apparently the coffee capsules make very good coffee and Nestle has been pushing their capsules very heavily using George Clooney. Lavazza and Illy haven’t been pushing capsules as hard – but they should so. Owing to the crisis, more and more Italians are resorting to coffee machines to save them having to spend cash in Italy’s coffee bars.

That Nespresso is not Italian does not seem to be putting Italians off. Time for Lavazza etc to pay catch-up or lose out.

Cheers,

9. Dimitrios says

Hello
    I am a Barista and former owner of a Cafeteria . As a customer in another cafeteria when asking for an espresso lungo instead of pulled lungo i get a normale with a small pot of hot water to be added. When i complain they say it is company policy.
    My question: what is your recommended method of brewing a lungo and if hot water is to be added what is the difference between a lungo and an americano?

Hi Demitrios,

In which country have you been asking for a lungo? In Italy, the process is the same as for making an espresso, except the cup is left in the coffee machine for a little longer. For a caffe Americano, the process is the same, except a bigger cup is used and the a greater quantity of water is allowed to drip through the coffee into the cup.

As you probably know, Italian espresso machines drip water through coffee grounds. The longer the water is allowed to drip, the greater the quantity of coffee is produced. Have never heard of water being added to espresso after it has come out of the machine. Very strange.

Alex – Italy resident and regular caffe lungo consumer.

10. Giovanni says

When buying coffee one must consider that arabica beans costs much more than robusta beans. The crema e gusto ranked 1st here is an arabica/robusta mix with an high content of robusta. Thus crema e gusto is less valuable than the qualita oro and Illy which are 100% arabica. In general arabica is more aromatic has a fruit-like acidity and is not bitter, the robusta is bitter has more body and astringency. Ultimately It is matter of personal taste but the price must correlate with the % of arabica content.

Well, it sounds as if you know coffee, Giovanni. As you say though, it’s a question of personal taste at the end of the day and Crema e Gusto fits mine perfectly – as I explain, it’s the only coffee I’ve tried in our stove top moka which produces a taste which is close to that I get Italy’s coffee bars.

The best thing for people to do is to try different coffees and that will help them decide which one they like best :) Some people prefer Illy to Lavazza and vice versa – personal taste, but are good everyday coffee brands.

Cheers,

11. It's me Alba says

Thanks Alex for the useful information, for sure the italian coffee is definitely one of my favorite. I’d like to recommend you if you don’t mind my website where I write about italian coffee machines, coffee pots and so on although I must tell you is in spanish I really did my research there;) If you have the chance would be awesome if somehow you could link to my article. Take care!