- Licencing the Antiques Roadshow from the BBC?
- Doing a series on Italians living abroad.
- An Italian version of Top Gear (a whole hour!!)- Italians love cars and motorbikes.
- Finding and doing up your ideal summer house.
- Italian design – Italians do great furniture and fantastic kitchens.
- The Agri-turismo show – where to go and what it will cost.
- Fly-on-the-wall – a real reality show, un-edited, about the day to day life of a family living in Sicily.
With a little thought these programmes, some of them, could even be marketed overseas and develop the ‘made in Italy’ brand.
You could even show these programmes at a decent hour, not after 11.30 at night or 10:00 in the morning. Let’s see some new faces too, not friends of friends or brothers and sisters or uncles and grandads of those already doing TV. There is some real talent in Italy. Shame it is not exploited. Oh, and a few decent drama’s, not those based on trashy novels, would be nice. Italian writers do exist.
Stop reading, start speaking
Stop translating in your head and start speaking Italian for real with the only audio course that prompt you to speak.
Space could easily be found, ditch a few cop shows, shorten the reality stuff and eliminate a few of the nightly quiz shows. Repeat fewer films too. Italy is overflowing with imagination and creativity, but few examples seem to be evident on TV here.
Oh and Beppe Grillo is not all that keen on Italian TV either, so it’s not just me.