I don’t know if this will interest anyone, but I’m trying to understand how many things interest me. So I’ve made a list, partly for fun, partly to help me understand, and, perhaps, focus in on some subjects a little better as time passes.
The list is quite long, but not exhaustive, and will probably grow over time as other things spring to mind. Indeed, I’ve just thought of a few things I’ve missed!
My knowledge of the subjects listed ranges from a little to quite a lot, and tends to reflect the topics which are the flavour of a particular moment.
The Eclectic List
It’s in alphabetical order, not in any order of priority. Regular readers of Italy Chronicles will recognise some of the subjects, others might come as a surprise, or not.
- Advertising – methods and systems, and efficiency
- Animals and wildlife
- Art – contemporary art and artists – I like discovering interesting Italian artists
- Boats – all sorts, but especially hi-tech, high-speed ones – more on this lower down the list
- Business – strategy, development
- Cars, Eco friendly engines, electric power, bio fuels, European, Asian, and American (I like muscle cars)
- Coffee machines – Italian espresso makers, especially the coffee bar versions
- Culture – what it is, how it differs and evolves
- Current affairs – news, views, and happenings in Italy and elsewhere
- Design – combining function and form – why I like guitars, cars, motorbikes, tools, knives & guns
- English teaching – how to help people learn English, develop & consolidate their skills
- Environment – maintaining and enhancing it
- Firearms – always found them fascinating. Don’t really know why.
- Films and entertainment – Science fiction is my favourite genre
- Food and drink – discovering new flavours, and nutrition
- Guitars – had a couple, cannot play them – love the sound, and the form, though. Want an electro-acoustic Ovation model – one day.
- High speed surface water travel. The amazing, but now extinct, Ekroplan – video:
- High speed below surface marine travel, using, for example, supercavitation technology, like the DARPA Underwater Express.
- History – modern history, but not only
- Intelligence – how we develop it, why some people are more intelligent than others, different types of intelligence, artificial intelligence
- Internet, and related technology, css, php, web design
- Italy – anything and everything!
- Journalism, including press freedom, citizen journalism
- Language – how we learn them, develop our skills, how to accelerate learning, grammar
- Law, and legal systems (civil v common law), legal terminology
- Legends – and their origins
- Marketing – web and traditional methods. Tourism and travel promotion via the internet
- Martial arts – Tai chi
- Media and communications – differences between cultures, new techniques, especially use of www
- Mobile phones – technology, functions, operating systems
- Motorbikes – big, fast ones (I’ve had a few moderately fast, but not big ones)
- Motor and motorbike racing – especially motorbike racing
- Mountain biking, cycling, and bikes
- Music – many genres, including classical, rock, blues, acid jazz and some pop
- Non-lethal weapons – I like the idea of being able to disable someone without killing him/her
- Paranormal events – ghosts
- Photography, cameras, lenses, off-camera flash (I’m a novice at this) and photo editing
- Politics – political systems – particularly new ones!
- Psychology – what it is, and how it effects out lives, and use of the www
- Real estate & architecture
- Renewable energy – particularly solar energy, biomass & wave/ocean power generation systems
- Science – just about everything, much of which is mixed in with this list
- Shooting – bows and arrows, crossbows, pistols, rifles, pea shooters, rail guns
- Space, space travel, and UFOs
- Technology – web technology, computers, operating systems, applications
- Television – how it is used, how it can be used
- Tools – love ’em (weird, I know!) – drills, spanners, saws, screwdrivers, soldering gear
- Travel – being in other places, not getting there!
- Video games and gaming platforms – Wii, Playstation
- Walking – in the country or mountains up hills, but not down them!
- Wine – particularly Italian wines and prosecco!
- Writing – techniques, writing for the web, trying to improve my own writing skills, and how to teach others to write
That’s it for now.